If there is one food that reminds me of my childhood, it’s puppy chow. It’s amazing just how good such a simple food can be. This recipe has less than 10 ingredients but has had a long-standing reign as a top snack in my book.
A family favorite mixture of chocolate, peanut butter, and powdered sugar that comes together in just a few minutes!
- 9 C chex cereal (or rice cereal if you prefer gluten free)
- 1 C chocolate chips, semi-sweet
- 1/2 C peanut butter, natural
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla, pure
- 1/4 C butter
- 1 1/2 C powdered sugar
- Melt chocolate and butter in the microwave, in 20-30 second intervals until smooth. Stir between each time in the microwave to ensure that you don't overcook the chocolate.
- Add vanilla to the chocolate and butter mixture. Stir well to completely mix vanilla with chocolate.
- Pour chocolate mixture over the cereal in a deep bowl. Mix to incorporate all chocolate into the cereal.
- Divide powdered sugar among two large freezer bags. Divide chocolate and cereal mixture and spoon into freezer bags. Shake to completely cover chocolate and cereal with powdered sugar.
- Let cool in freezer 30 minutes to 1 hour
For a dairy free option the butter can be omitted. For a gluten free option the cereal can be substituted for a rice cereal variety. For a healthier option, the powdered sugar can be substituted for protein powder.
What is a food that you remember from your childhood that you just have to have sometimes? Leave me a comment below and let’s have a chat about it! I’d love to hear from you!
For more recipes be sure to head over to the recipe box page, or to stay up to date on all of our posts be sure to like Dorky Mama Deals on Facebook!