It is time to take taco tuesday to a whole new level. These chicken street taco bowls are absolutely amazing. The fresh and healthy salsa gives them just the right kick too! Our family is a mix of mild and spicy lovers so we usually do things like this on the side. However, tey couldn’t get enough of this salsa.
The beautiful thing about salsa is that you can put just about anything into it in relatively varying amounts and come up with something interesting. I love fresh fruit salsas or those made with tomatoes fresh from the garden. This salsa includes grilled corn which makes it an instant win in my book. In addition, the bowl includes a cilantro lime rice that accents the chicken perfectly! Just the rice alone is fantastic. ( and a great snack if you have any left over).
There are a few different ways that you can cook and put this chicken taco bowl together. The chicken can be marinated and put on the grill or the marinade can be brushed on and the chicken baked before pan searing. For ours, we went with the second method. It’s really up to you which you want to do or which works best for you. If you don’t have a grill, no problem. If you don’t feel like cooking inside, no problem.
Let’s get down to business with the good stuff!
- Juice of 1/2 of a lime
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2C rice
- 2-3 ears sweet corn, depending on size
- 1-2 avocados, to taste
- 1/2 red onion
- 1 bell pepper
- 1/2 C fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- Juice of 1/2 of a lime
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1/4 C coconut oil
- juice of 2 1/2 limes
- 1/4 C olive oil
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 2 Tbsp paprika
- 2T cumin
- Combine olive oil, juice of 2 1/2 limes, paprika and garlic for chicken marinade.. Add chicken to bag and marinate 1-2 hours ( or overnight)
- Put 2 C rice, juice of 1/2 lime, and chopped cilantro in rice cooker ( whatever type you use) to cook rice. Cook per cooker instructions.
- Pan sear or grill corn while you chop other vegetables. Add to salsa when finished.
- Begin dicing vegetables for salsa. Add to medium sized bowl. Toss in garlic and spices. Douse in olive oil and juice of 1/2 lime. Toss to combine completely.
- Put chicken in oven at 425 for 20-30 minutes.
- Remove chicken from oven and place in pan to sear or on grill 2-5 minutes. ( just enough to add black char marks)
- Let chicken rest 5 minutes before slicing.
- Add rice to bowl and top with sliced chicken. Top chicken with a sprinkle of salsa.
Share Your Creations
Did you try this recipe? Share yours with us in the comments! We would love to see any changes you made to it! This recipe is adapted from a few different ideas I’ve picked up browsing lately. I love visiting new food ideas and coming up with fun and healthy ways to make ideas that sound amazing!
For more recipes from Dorky Mamas head over to our Recipe Box!
For awesome kitchen gadgets stop by our Shop!
Happy Cooking, mamas!